At the time of your procedure, you will receive detailed information regarding your wounds and scars. It is important to adhere to Dr Sharp’s post operative care protocol to achieve the best possible scar outcome.
Dr Sharp’s Healing Gel can be used on your scars immediately after surgery. It is a compound that contains ingredients that are proven to aid in optimal healing and scar minimisation.
After your surgery, please remember:
- All surgery leaves scars
- It is normal for a scar to initially darken in colour (purple, red) and to feel firm, uneven and in parts lumpy – this may be more noticeable at the two ends of the scar
- Scars will normally take 12 to 18 months to mature - with time the scar with soften, lighten in colour and become less noticeable.
- After three weeks it is recommended that the scar be massaged with either Bio oil or vitamin E cream daily – this will help soften the scar sooner.
- If during the healing process your scar shows signs of abnormal healing (keloid or hypertrophic scarring) you may need silicone based dressings or further consultation with Dr Sharp.
- Make sure you apply sunscreen (SPF 50+) to your surgery site if it will be exposed to direct sunlight. If you do not have an SPF 50 sunscreen, ask us about Dr Sharp’s Dry Touch Sunscreen, which is suitable for use after surgery and available in our clinics.